San Miguel Parish, Los Angeles
San Miguel parish continues to thrive as a vibrant parish community because of the support received from Together in Mission. Your generous gifts to this campaign ensure that impoverished communities such as the one served by this parish, will continue to practice their faith in a parish community. It is our duty as missionaries in the faith to share the Good News of the gospel with everyone we meet. Your donations ensure that the word of God will continue to live in the hearts of the faithful in this community and throughout the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Let us continue to do what is in our power to provide the sacraments to all communities of Los Angeles regardless of their economic status through our alms giving.
San Miguel parish has been serving the community of south Los Angeles for over 88 years. The first mass was celebrated in December 1927. Bishop John J. Cantwell dedicated the Church of San Miguel in 1928, in the center of Mexican district of Watts. The church was built with the support of the parish of Santa Cruz. A year later, the Augustinian Recollect priests, from Spain, were assigned to the parish. In 1962 the hall was built, which would serve to teach catechism.
On September 6, 1966, San Miguel School opened its doors for the first time, with 110 students, served by the Sisters of the Love of God, who led the school until 1983, when the first lay principal was named. In the beginning, 1st to 4th grade education was offered, but soon the program was expanded through eighth grade, and now we have also added kindergarten and transitional kindergarten. In 1988, the Agustinian priests left the parish and Cardinal Roger Mahony entrusted the pastoral care of the parish to the Mexican community of Misioneros del Sagrado Corazon y de Santa Maria de Guadalupe. The Sisters of the Presentation also arrived in the community around the same time. Both congregations have served the community since then to the present. The Sisters of the Presentation founded the Presentation Learning Center for adults, in the building that was formerly the convent.